When it comes to love, food takes the cake as being one of the most notable and universally accepted ways to show it [love].
The popular option is to go out on a fancy dinner or a restaurant tour with your partner and while those options are lovely, maybe this year you’re looking to do something different. Whether you’re considering a more thoughtful and calm route or searching for the perfect yet affordable date, cooking a homemade meal together is the right way to go.
It doesn’t matter whether you're a seasoned chef or a beginner cook, these recipes by Chef Vee, an all-round creative with a private dining business and our guest in this post, are sure to make your Valentine’s memorable.
So stick around as our guest shares with us 4 easy-to-make dishes you can make with your partner, friends, family, or even for yourself.
All recipes and images in this post are owned by Chef Vee.
How food plays a major role in love and valentine's season?
“Food plays such an integral role in love and in particular Valentine’s Day. Food is spiritual and when you eat something amazing, it can take you back to specific feelings and memories.”, Chef Vee answers.
“If you look around the world, one thing we have in common is that we all believe in communing and breaking bread with loved ones. Food has that power! Love is about showing the other person that they are important to you, so taking them out to eat at a romantic restaurant or cooking a home-cooked meal for a loved one is one of the classic ways to express love.”, She added.
4 simple homemade meals to make with your partner
Chef Vee pointed out that when it comes to Valentine’s day, simple delicious meals go a long way. That way, you are able to focus on spending time with your loved one rather than stressing in the kitchen.
Tiramisu French Toast
An easy brunch classic with a twist. The dish is coffee-flavored and perfect to start your day!
- 2 thick slices Brioche
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Cream
- ¼ cup espresso
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Butter to fry
- Cocoa powder (garnish)
- 2 tbsp Mascarpone
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
Method to make Tiramisu french toast
- Whisk together egg, cream, sugar, vanilla, and espresso
- Soak the bread in the mix.
- Add to a buttered pan on low-medium heat and cook on all sides (including crust) till golden brown
- Whip cream, mascarpone, and icing sugar in a mixer till medium peaks form.
- Serve French toast with mascarpone cream and maple syrup. Dust cocoa powder on top
Steak and Mash
“This is a classic that no one gets tired of. To take this dish to the next level always use the best ingredients. The creamiest potato mash paired with this boozy sauce is a truly legendary pairing.”
- Sirloin/ Ribeye x2
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 bunch of Rosemary
- 1 bunch of Thyme
- 1 bulb of Garlic
- 4-5 Potatoes
- 150g Butter
- ½ cup Cream
- ¼ cup Whiskey
- ½ cup Cream
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Black pepper
Method to prepare steak and mash
- Cut the potatoes into equal chunks and boil them in salted water till tender.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a ricer. Once the lumps are out, add the cream and fold in with a rubber spatula followed by the butter. Season to taste.
- Season steak and pan-fry on medium-high heat to create a nice brown crust.
- For medium steak cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add butter, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and place steak on one side for the last 2 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes before cutting
- In the same pan add the whisky and let it cook off for 1 minute. Add water
- Add the cream and honey and season with black pepper and salt. Cook for 2 minutes till silky
Check out this post on 39+ African street food from 5 African countries
Whole Grilled Fish
Perfect for fish lovers. “This meal is packed with so much flavor and creates the flakiest fish with delightfully crispy skin.”
- Fish of choice x2
- 1 thumb Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Lemongrass stalks
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Yaji pepper
- ½ Onion
- 1 Lemon
- 1/3 cup Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
Method to prepare whole grilled fish
- Clean the fish thoroughly and set the oven on a combined grill at 190C
- Slice cuts along the fish.
- Slice onion, lemon, and ginger thinly and set aside. Mix the honey and soy sauce and set aside.
- Season the fish with the above spices and make sure to get into the slices.
- Brush the honey and soy sauce mix. Stuff the onion, lemon, and ginger into the slices and place the fish on parchment paper. Drizzle vegetable oil on the surface
- Grill for 15 minutes, flip the fish, and grill for a further 10 minutes.
Baileys Bread pudding
The most decadent dessert ever. “This melt-in-your-mouth classic is so naughty but so good at the same time. It is warm, creamy, and boozy!”
- 2 slices white (Agege) bread
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup cream
- ½ cup Baileys
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp soaked fruit (optional)
Method to prepare Bailey’s bread pudding
- If using soaked fruit, add dried fruit mix (raisins and sultanas) into a bowl of rum. Soak overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl combine the milk, cream, egg, sugar, cinnamon, and baileys and whisk till combined.
- Cut the Agege bread into cubes and submerge it in the mixture. Every piece should be soaked.
- In a ramekin butter the sides and add the soaked agege bread.
- Add the soaked fruit mix at this time if you wish in between layers of the bread
- Top with a spoonful of the mixture.
- Brush the top with melted butter
- Place in an oven at 180 and cook for 10 mins till the top is golden brown
- Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
5 restaurants to visit in Lagos with a budget of 10k or less
All about our guest, Chef Vee.
Chef Vee is an all-round creative entrepreneur. She owns a private dining business and is an F&B Consultant. She is also a Project Manager in the Fashion and Hospitality Sector.
Chef Vee's journey in the food industry began in 2020. Her previous career was strictly in the Fashion and Hospitality sector and cooking was a mere hobby.
“Through covid, I opened a door I couldn’t close as I spent the time concentrating on my craft and the joy I received from watching people enjoy my food was a feeling I could not shut down.”, She said.
“Food has always been a spiritual outpour for me and my way of connecting with my culture and family. God placed this purpose in me to share this feeling with others, be it through cooking or teaching.”, Chef Vee added.
Since she launched into the professional culinary industry, the journey has been unexpected. She has seen growth in her career that she can only thank God for. But currently, like every great creative, she sees potential in her industry and acknowledges that there is still so much more to do.
“For example, we have untapped avenues here in Nigeria that will widen our mindset and take this country into becoming a real food destination. My passion is further than just having a private dining business. My passion is to challenge the current culinary climate and advance us into new territories.”
You can always find her on Instagram @chefveeofficial. And if you would like to book her services,email email@example.com.
With that said, chef Vee rounds up with this; “Valentine’s Day is about enjoying the moment with one another. Take time to really spend time together and appreciate each other. Know your partner and do what pleases each other. You do not always need to break the bank to win their hearts!”
Leave a comment